National Service Scheme, under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Govt. of India, popularly known as NSS was launched in Gandhiji’s Birth Centenary Year 1969. In India, the idea of involving students in the task of national service dates back to the times of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation. The central theme which he tried to impress upon his student audience time and again, was that they should always keep before them, their social responsibility. The first duty of the students should be, not to treat their period of study as one of the opportunities for indulgence in intellectual luxury, but for preparing themselves for final dedication in the service of those who provided the sinews of the nation with the national goods & services so essential to society.
Advising them to form a living contact with the community in whose midst their institution is located, he suggested that instead of undertaking academic research about economic and social disability, the students should do “something positive so that the life of the villagers might be raised to a higher material and moral level”.
We at Nowrosjee Wadia College have adopted villages like Loni Kand, Dongargaon & Bhavdi to enhance their lifestyle and explain them about few social responsibilities.The main objective of camp was to inculcate social responsibility and self discipline among the students. Various activities such as cleanliness drives, awareness camps dealing with subjects such as literacy, population control measures, safety issues and empowerment of women, voting in local elections, construction of sanitation facilities, cultural programs for villagers has been conducted.
Dr. Kishor Bhosale
M.Sc., Ph.D. (Botany)
- Blood detection camps, blood donation etc.
- Campus cleaning.
- Celebration of important days.
- Orientation camps.
- Participation of students in various seminars
- Various cultural activities aiming at personality development of students.
Activities conducted by the NSS and participation of NSS volunteers recently:
- Tree Plantation
- Street play in campus for awareness among new voters
- More than 50 NSS volunteers helped blind students as writers for university examinations.
- Celebration of Birth anniversary of social reformers like Mahatma Gandhi, Savitribai Phule, Swami Vivekanand, Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Mahatma Phule, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar etc.
- All volunteers attended lectures on Civil Services Examinations organized by Pune Municipal Council.
- Unity Run by NSS volunteers
- NSS volunteers worked during the Ganesh Festival along with Pune City Police.
- During the NSS camp a survey of flora and fauna of Dongargaon village was conducted and harmful plants and weeds from the soil were removed. Awareness regarding the same was created among the villagers.
- Street plays for a social message were conducted by NSS volunteers during the NSS camp on tanta mukt gaon, kanya ratna, hunda bandi, tree plantation, etc.
- A lecture on use and conservation of electricity in rural areas was held.